Friday, May 18, 2007

Steven Page - More Comments on DRM and the Music Industry

This is really just a link post, but I also wanted to bring attention to the latest SongSpot as well, which is another song by the Barenaked Ladies.

Steven Page, singer and guitarist for the Barenaked Ladies, talks about DRM in this interview with Mark Blevis on Electric Sky posted earlier today.

There's also this article by Nate Anderson for Ars Technica who spoke to Steven Page about a compulsory license model that would allow consumers access to all the music they want and would ensure that artists get paid.

I'm currently reading "The Future of Music, Manifesto For The Digital Music Revolution" by David Kusek and Gerd Leonhard (Sonific's Founder and CEO - the folks who give us the SongSpot technology). I really think everyone in the music industry should read this book and Gerd's Music Like Water Manifesto and his more recent comments in this post titled, "Flat Fee Music" & The MUSIC LIKE WATER MANIFESTO". After I finish the book and have a chance to absorb everything, I'll post my views.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gregg!

    Actually, the interview was posted on May 26, 2006. Nevertheless, the message it carries remains very relevant today.

    Thanks for the plug!

    Mark
    Electric Sky Podcast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I should have taken a closer look at the date. I was actually searching for the article written about Steve's preference for a compulsory licensing model when I discovered your podcast. After listening, I thought it was even more interesting than the later article.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger