Thursday, March 08, 2007

But How Does It Sound?

Oh, it's detailed with excellent soundstage, tight bass, yet musical with a lot of presence. There's a real purity to the sound and it has the ability to produce instrument on top of instrument without standing in each other's way. There's a real honesty to the sound, it's warmer with a deep bass, yet transparent, exciting and musical, clearer and tighter. The latest tweaks have improved the sound stage, clarity and imaging, blah, blah, blah...

What the...?

I come across these sort of comments in reviews all the time, but I'm not sure what they mean. It's hard for me (and I'm sure a lot of people) to describe how they perceive something like a sound system. Is it any easier to describe how we see things, like a beautiful painting or photo image. Or even the difference between video displays. How about when you are describing how something tastes. The steak was tender and succulent. That's how it felt, but how does it taste? I guess the enjoyment of eating a steak includes a lot of other sensory experiences like touch or feel. I think the most entertaining reviews are for wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger